Adding Google Tasks to the main Gmail window

As I get older, I’m having to write down things that I need to do, otherwise I’ll forget. Up until now I’ve been using post-it notes, but my desk is getting rather messy and I’m losing track of which post-it notes are more important than others! So I’ve started using Google Tasks to keep track of what needs to be done, both one-off things and monthly things like paying bills. I can then sync Google Tasks to my Android phone with Astrid.

Since Gmail’s recent redesign, you can access Tasks from a dropdown menu in the top left:

Selecting Tasks from the dropdown menuHowever, this just displays the tasks in a pop-up in the bottom right. Thankfully, there’s a way to display them in the main window, so I can keep track of tasks without having to navigate to an extra window. First, open your Mail settings by clicking on the config icon in the top right, then selecting Mail settings:

Mail settings menuThen, select the ‘Labs’ tab. You want to enable a feature called ‘Add any gadget by URL’.

Labs settings pageFinally, select the ‘Gadgets’ tab, and enter ‘http://www.google.com/ig/modules/tasks.xml’ in the text box and click Add.

Add a gadgetYou’ll now have a Tasks gadget in the Gmail sidebar – much more convenient!

This entry was posted in Gmail, Time management. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Posted 3rd February, 2012 at 3:20 am | Permalink
  2. Jay
    Posted 11th September, 2012 at 4:47 am | Permalink

ok i tried it – but now do you have any idea how to remove google tasks from the gmail sidebar. i removed the gadget and disabled new gadgets but the task sidebar WILL NOT go away!!!!!!! help!!!

• Posted 11th September, 2012 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I’ve no idea I’m afraid! I have to admit I don’t really use the tasks much any more and on my sidebar it displays the chat rather than the tasks anyway.

• Tek
      Posted 28th January, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I’ve just used this tutorial to enable Google Tasks gadget and then came across same problem – once enabled I couldn’t get rid of it even though I’ve disabled “add gadgets by URL” in tasks. But I accidentaly found a solution – you just need to enable and disable Google Caledar gadget in Labs.

3. Posted 15th April, 2013 at 5:25 am | Permalink

gmailsharedtasks.com is a way to share gmail task lists , with this you will be able to share lists between your friends , or colleagues.

4. Lori ODay
    Posted 12th February, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I followed the directions to a T, and, it didn’t work for me…

5. Marco Saluzzo
    Posted 28th April, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this. I have followed your instructions and it works fine for me.